Living with Invisible Illness

 Hello everyone!

Welcome back after my November photo blogs. Today still isn't going to my usual style but I was struck by something that happened to me the other day and I wanted to talk about it. We live in a society where we need to see something to believe it. Invisible illnesses are real and impact so many on a daily basis and yet we as a society have very little sense of how impactful they can be until we experience it ourselves. 

I was on a bus the other day, twitching making it impossible for me to safely get upstairs but there were no seats downstairs. The disabled seats which in this instance I feel like are there to help me were all filled and I didn't have my medical ID on me. Because I had no medical ID on me I, an otherwise fit and healthy-looking 22-year-old didn't feel like it was fair to ask any of these potentially able-bodied people to move. They were all at least 40 years older than me! But that left me downstairs by the driver unable to socially distance from anyone, putting myself at risk, during this time. (Note to self: Never leave medical ID in locker at work!) 

If I had my medical ID I would be able to ask people and have proof to back myself up and that I'm not just a lying youth trying to snag a seat off a senior. But should I really need medical ID? If I say to someone I have epilepsy and I'm not feeling well, there should be enough of a social understanding that some illnesses aren't visible. I'm not saying everyone should know the ins and outs of epilepsy! That's maybe a bit too far (even if it would make my life easier!) But anyone who has an invisible illness or disability should be able to use public facilities created for them without having to explain themselves. I shouldn't have to be convulsing to not get judgy looks using a public disabled bathroom. Equally, someone with a condition such as fibromyalgia or chronic pain shouldn't have to fight for disabled seats on public transport. 

We should all be able to make decisions for our health and well-being without having to answer to random strangers because we don't look disabled enough. A phrase I have heard far too many times in my life is, "You don't look Epileptic" Duh! Can anyone ever look epileptic? Can anyone ever look like they have Ulcerative Colitis? These along with so many more conditions are called invisible for a reason. I suppose what I'm trying to say is when someone asks you for help but you think they look healthy, first impressions can be deceptive. We all have stuff going on in our lives. For some of us, it's hidden medical conditions we can't control. It might have taken a lot of guts and embarrassment to ask for help, so if we do, please listen. You can't see pain, no matter what form it comes in. That doesn't mean it's not there. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Purple Day 2021!

Photo Challenge Day 10

Dealing with Myths and Misconceptions